Thursday, November 4, 2010

Curious about Bikram Yoga? Part ONE.

As I write this, I am freshly showered, dressed in my comfy pajamas, watching the TV in the background and sipping on coconut water (one of my favorite super-foods!). Three hours earlier, I was dripping sweat on a towel in a room full of yogis, each of us stoically enduring the 100+ degree heat as we performed posture after posture in a 90-minute series. Bikram yoga is a cruel mistress.

Tonight's class was particularly difficult for me. I am fairly sure that the room was even HOTTER than normal, and the instructor was certainly less forgiving than the others I've had. Which is hard to accomplish, as all bikram yoga instructors recite the same "script", in the same order, every time. The beginning series of bikram yoga - named after its inventor, Bikram Choudhury - is a series of 26 Hatha yoga postures and two breathing exercises, done in the same order each class. Each bikram studio is heated to over 100 degrees, with approximately 40% humidity. So far, I've endured this torture six times. Each time, I find that I get stretchier and stretchier, stronger and stronger, and more and more able to endure the heat and pain that come from bikram.

So...what should you know before you go to class? These are the things I've learned in the short time I have practiced this challenging regime:

1) You will sweat. Deal with it. If you don't like sweat, you picked the wrong yoga. Bring a towel along with your yoga mat, perhaps two towels. Most bikram studios will have mats and towels available for rent or purchase, but check before you leave the house. You may also wish to bring a lock with you if the studio has lockers available to store your valuables.

2) Bring water, but don't expect to have much time to drink it. There is only one "official" water break during the 90-minutes (after Eagle Pose), and the rest of the time, the class is encouraged to only drink "as needed" between postures. Come to class ALREADY hydrated, or you will regret it later.

3) Arrive early, for several reasons. You'll want to position your mat somewhere where you can see yourself in the the mirror, and the class fills up fast. Most newbies are also required to fill out some paperwork (waivers, etc.), and you'll want to have plenty of time to do this before class starts. And, just for funsies, you may wish to spend some time acclimating to the intense heat before you begin to work out in it.

4) The eating issue. Most bikram advice articles/blogs I've read suggest not eating anything for 2-3 hours before your scheduled class. I understand the logic - the first time you practice in the hot room, you're likely to feel dizzy, lightheaded, and possibly nauseous. That being said, my body needs food before strenuous exercise. I feel MUCH better in class if I have something light on my stomach (e.g. a piece of fruit, bread with peanut butter, a cup of yogurt) than if I go in there empty. The best advice I can give is to listen to your body. If you're used to working out on an empty stomach, by all means, don't change it up here. If you find that you perform at your best with some food in ya, eat something! Nothing heavy, nothing greasy - just a little something to get you through.

5) Wear as little as you can get away with. Tight-fitting, stretchy shorts or capris, sports-bras, tank-tops, NO COTTON (it will be soaked with sweat within the first 10 minutes). And before you even worry about it...no one is looking at you. I promise. Everyone else is focused on not passing out while performing Triangle Pose. If you cover yourself up out of modesty or self-consciousness, you'll be kicking yourself later for wearing that extra layer. Suck it up and strip down.

Part two to come...there is much more to be said about beginning bikram!

No comments:

Post a Comment